Thursday, April 09, 2009

What Goes Around, Comes Around

One of the delights of scanning old negatives is trying to remember where on earth you were when you took the photograph. After scanning the above image I studied it for some time, looking for a clue as to where the street leading down to the sea could possibly be. Eventually I thought I recognised the faded headland in the distance as the Great Orme on the North Wales coast. From the arrangement of the Orme and the sea (always assuming I had not put the negative into the scanner the wrong way around) the photograph must have been taken in Conway. And then it slowly came back to me. Alexander was about eighteen months old, we had hired a cottage in Conway. Isobel was taking her final examinations for the Royal College of Pathologists and spent the days revising. I pushed Alexander in his pram up narrow street after narrow street. And here we are seventeen years later. Alexander is out of his pram and home for Easter from Medical School. And whilst I sit upstairs scanning old negatives, he is downstairs revising his biochemistry. What goes around, comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Lot Of Gas And Some Empty Chairs

  You can decide which jet of nostalgia is turned on by this advert which I found in my copy of the 1931 Souvenir Book of the Historical Pag...