Thursday, January 26, 2012

Messing About With Connections

 

I left you yesterday standing on the pinnacle of sporting achievement and I join you today standing in a sports jacket on the Dingle Peninsular (nowhere in the rules does it say that these connections have to be either logical or even sensible). It is probably 45 years ago and that is my mother standing next to me, looking out to sea. She used to love standing on the sea shore looking out to sea, perhaps that is where my brother got his love of sailing from, perhaps that is where I get my love of cruising from. I have messed a little with the photograph as you can see, but the photograph was so old, so faded and so encrusted with transparency mould, nobody could possible blame me.


I know it was Dingle because I can clearly remember the location of the next slide in the box. Now I have been on a good few car ferries in my life, but this was one of the most basic. I remember my fathers' look of fear as they tied the car to the deck with an old piece of rope. Again I have messed with this particular picture, giving it more film grain than it originally had in order to smooth out some of the imperfections of time. I suppose it is pretending to be something it isn't, putting on a performance in the theatre of my memory. Now where can I be going next?

14 comments:

  1. You both seem to be looking quite intently. I reckon it's always good to look before you jump. Hey, nice going! I love a bit of added texture in a photo. -J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these photos are very intriguing, each in their own way. That is one unusual car ferrying, but it's your mom and you standing on what appears to be the brink of life itself that makes for a most unusual photograph. I like the more impressionistic qualities that your tinkering created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re going to the playhouse next, to put on a performance. Tinkering with a picture does blur reality a little, but the resulting image is more creative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the car on the ferry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Basic" is right, although I think "primitive" might be a bit more accurate. I can understand your father's fear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've made a good job of that photo, it looks PDG to me. An anticipatory sort of photo.

    In answer to your comment on my blog, I'm heading North from London but that covers quite a lot of the country, and actually I'm going to Suffolk, my favourite county, which I haven't been to for ages. Just hope I don't find that escaped criminal who managed to get loose there this morning according to Today programme ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness you didn't have a larger car! I would be a bit nervous about that ferry also.

    You and your mother appear to be so deeply enthralled with the ocean, but who wouldn't be standing on the edge of what seems eternity. I love the ocean, and I love this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the dingle!

    love the pic you you and your ma - touched up and all...one must do what one must do!

    and i love the ferry - we've been on a couple that were even more "basic" (and scary) than that -one resembled the raft that huck and jim took down the mississippi! like your pa, i was a tad apprehensive - but guess the fellows that devise these modes of transport know what they are doing, at least that what we hope for....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waiting for Godo?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I too would have been frightened for my car. It looks like a home video where the car goes into the brink. I like the resurrected shots. It is good to give life back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you have all of these wonderful photos, Alan. I enjoy them so much.

    The photo editing on the one of you and your mom is great. Even if it's purpose was to correct the damage, it certainly is a wonderful effect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Standing on the beach, I'm not sure whether you look to be filled with anticipation or trepidation. (I suppose that would depend on whether or not you had already set eyes on that vessel posing as a car ferry!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. II notice in the first photo that even in those far-off days you had a chip on your shoulder!
    I think your editing has improved things considerably! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first photo seems to emphasize the interest in the sea.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...