Friday, March 16, 2012

Gimme A Pigfoot And A Decent Internet Connection

A final selection of photographs from my Lanzarote holiday. The first one shows the amazing Green Lagoon at El Golfo on the south of the island; a volcanic crater eaten away by sea erosion. The algae-green lake is separated from the sea by the black volcanic sands and the cliffs have been eroded into amazing patterns by the wind. John told us that the famous scenes with Raquel Welsh in her animal skin bikini were filmed here and later, strictly in the interests of research, I tried to find an on-line clip of the sequence. Alas, the WiFi at the hotel was lamentable and I had to rely on nothing other than my own imagination. It is easy to forget the delights of a decent internet connection, but I had plenty of opportunity to dwell on this fact of modern life as I waited each morning for the ten minutes it took my copy of the Guardian to download.

My second photograph was taken just along the coast from the hotel we were staying at in Costa Teguise. I am not sure who the sculptor was, but it provides another fine example of how the bright colours and raw landscape of the island provide an almost perfect backdrop for art.


My final photograph was taken in the island capital of Arrecife. You will recall that I spoke last time of how the artist César Manrique was able to save the island from  the perils of high-rise developments. There is only one high building on the island, a multi-story hotel which must have been constructed when Manrique wasn't looking. The photograph shows this miserable pile carefully within the sights of one of the old cannons that guard the fort.

It is now almost a week since we left Lanzarote but the memory of that striking landscape, those wonderful colours and the near-perfect sunshine will remain with us for a long time to come. As will the memory of the hospitality of fellow-bloggers who have now become firm friends : thank you Marilyn and John.

Let me finish with some music. One morning as I waited for my guardian and my e-mails to download and silently cursed the slow internet speed available, I found myself beginning to sing that old Bessie Smith number, "Gimme A Pigsfoot And A Bottle Of Beer".


15 comments:

  1. The green pool is very different..algae filled...but such a great color from afar. It looks like a beautiful island..I am so glad you went and took photos so we could enjoy it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures Alan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swing it Gates! Say, I even have a copy of "One Million Years BC" on VHS--solely of course for the Lanzarote landscapes & the Ray Harryhausen special effects of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched Raquel last night on CSI: Miami. She is well preserved and was playing a killer of her own family members. She is out there in hiding. The place does have wonderful color and I can see how you could be fascinated with the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This trip really supplied you with several incredible photos! And the Bessie Smith tune was a very welcome addition to your narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really seriously thinking of going to Lanzarote after seeing your photos, Alan. It looks amazing. I have a kind of love hate relationship with volcanic landscapes, mind you. They can be very oppressive too, but sunshine and sea make a great deal of difference. As you say, great backdrops for art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jenny, you know who to call!

      Delete
  7. Alan, we just did the guided tour again today with my niece and her partner. It was quite overcast but very dramatic as usual.Very breezy in Teguise (that rhymes btw), and we had tapas in that little bar where we ate with you and the GLW. There were swarms (yes I think that’s the appropriate word) of cyclists coming out of La Santa sports centre.Warming up nicely here though; it was 27 degrees when we got back to Playa Blanca! Still hasn’t rained:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your chap has that old gun barrel pointed directly at the high-rise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good holiday.

    What I'd give for a good internet connection. All I seem able to get here, despite BT's hype, in 54 Mbs which is old dial-up modem speed, I think. It works, but it would be good if it worked faster.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Load, prime, FIRE! What a great way to get rid of the high rise eyesore!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sent me off on a wonderful Bessie Smith adventure, which then sent me in a number of other directions.
    How could I resist listening to songs with these titles:
    He may be your dog but he's wearing my collar

    Your biscuits are big enough for me

    If I can't sell it then I'll sit on it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome scenery! Thanks for giving some background to add to the scenery

    ReplyDelete
  13. Only you could blend a volcanic landscape, modern art, Raquel Welsh and Bessie Smith, and produce such a fine result. In fact, you may have invented the ultimate Islas Canarias Cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool! I especially like the old time 78 record, very funny Surprisingly clear too!

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...