Saturday, January 04, 2014

Sepia Saturday 209 : A Most Reasonable Journey


You could reasonably ask why this early photograph of me was in any way related to the theme image for Sepia Saturday 209 which features a charabanc. And I would answer, in all reasonableness, that it's all about a journey. The journey started on the charabanc, for I was sure that I had a photograph somewhere in my collection of family photographs of my grandfather and grandmother aboard an open-top chara en-route to some seaside resort. 

So I went on a journey through my shoe-box and tracked it down. It's a fine old sepia photograph which shows off the charabanc in all its splendor. But then I began to realise that I might have used this photograph before on Sepia Saturday, so I started a journey through my old posts only to discover that it features in my post for Sepia Saturday 98, way back in October 2011.

So it was beginning to look as though all these journeys were getting me nowhere, but then I remembered that journeys are not just about reaching places, they are about what you discover on the way.

For example, whilst I was searching through my old blog posts, I discovered that I had written about the word charabanc before, in a post about the removal of certain words which are now supposed to be archaic from the Collins English Dictionary - and yes, charabanc was on that list. And whilst I was searching through the shoe-box to track down the charabanc photograph, I discovered this picture of me riding my scooter from the mid-1950s. I know what you are going to say, that I won't get very far with the stand down and the scooter securely balanced. But you need to build up your confidence before you start a journey - and get your photograph taken at the same time. That's reasonable enough, isn't it?

SEE WHAT THE OTHER SEPIANS ARE UP TO FOR SEPIA SATURDAY 209 BY GOING TO THE SEPIA SATURDAY BLOG AND FOLLOWING THE LINKS.

28 comments:

  1. Love your sensible Clark's sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if I did not know you are British, this photo would tell me right away that this was not an American boy getting ready to ride on his scooter. The necktie is a dead giveaway...

    Love this photo.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I do like a good knitted vest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had a scooter, but didn't like it that much. Preferred the side-walk version of roller skates actually, but perhaps that was a year or two later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Days in short trousers; I remember them well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your journeys are adventures, Alan, even those that are stationary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a brand new scooter; no wonder you were pleased! Bring back the word charabanc I say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never heard of a charabanc before. And now that I have, I find that I'm not supposed to use it? Unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully the beginning of a new year will be an awesome journey for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Ha! I was wondering what your post would be when I read your comment in the Sepia comments after posting this morning. Very delightful you are, and Alan, my first scooter had that very same (well not quite the same, mine what pure white and thicker) but a stand just like that. But it was off more than on in my world. Hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to say I will remember this word charabanc, but no I'm afraid I won't. I'm still not even sure what a charabanc is.
    Mighty fine scooter Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, from a bus to a scooter, including scooting off to a seaside resort. I would like to hear more about the chara. Were there more passengers. Was the trip to be long, with the top down? This sort of vehicle carries folks around amusement parks and zoos. And airports. Do they have a new name?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm still sore that I only got a scooter and not a bike when I was a kid. You look to be enjoying yours more than I enjoyed mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you are full of adventure there on your scooter. Or maybe just to get your photo taken.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:01 PM

    And that looks like a reasonable vegetable garden off to the side. Someone with green thumbs ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. And now the kids scooter has become all the rage again with a little change in design that let's you do all kinds of tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adorable little boy you were! And I love the tie and the short trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many boys in this country dressed like this in the 50s and 60s. Some in the 70s too. But they wore shoes of a different style, lace ups. I remember these scooters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Riding scooters to the local primary school seems to be an in craze at the moment. No sure what their parents think when they have to carry the scooter home

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh what a happy smile on his face

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do like adventures along the way -- and that is a pretty determined smile, probably much like the man of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your scooter photo.

    I don't remember ever knowing the word "charabanc" before I started participating in Sepia Saturday. It seems to be mainly a British word.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny you should be discussing the demise of the word "charabanc" because as I've been reading everyone's contributions this week, I've been amazed that everyone else seems to know the word while I'm just now discovering it. Apparently I'm too late to use it in everyday conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your scooter photograph reminded me so much of my brother - the haircut, the Clark sandals, short trousers, v-nck pullover - and the smile. And how often do you see small boys wearing ties nowadays outside formal occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your scooter photograph! What a great smile you look thrilled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is really awesome. Thank you so much for sharing this article with us.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...