Friday, March 28, 2014

Ways Of Getting Out Of Going Shopping No. 1437

I would like to continue with the same theme I initiated yesterday - which, more or less, means that I am going to ramble on again about change whilst I look the wrong way down the telescope of life. As I scan my way through my own chunk of history I came across this view over Elland in West Yorkshire taken from Hullenedge. It is a familiar enough view which I have photographed a number of times in my life, but the question that has occupied me this morning - and, so far, successfully kept me from having to go shopping with my wife - is when was this particular photograph taken?  To answer this question I have to bring all my skills as a digital archaeologist into play (I quite like the idea of a digital archaeologist and, in future, this is what I will reply when people ask that embarrassing question at parties, "and what is it you do?". You know the scenario, you say "Oh, I'm retired" and the look they give you as they go in search of somebody interesting to network with says "oh, you are waiting to die are you")

Where was I? Ah, yes, when was the picture taken? Lovers of Elland - and there are a number of them spread like miser's dripping around the world - will immediately say, it must have been before 1991 as Elland Power Station is still creating steam clouds. They will then quickly counter that it must have been after 1979 because the Calderdale Way By Pass looks as though it has been completed. I suspect it is those three central mill chimneys that are going to be the critical dating factor : only a couple of stumps remain these days. There are people out there who, in order to get out of going shopping with their wives, have made a detailed study of mill chimneys in Elland throughout the ages. I eagerly await one of them contacting me with further information.

10 comments:

  1. There's what appears to be a car in the centre foreground, but the focus is too ill defined to see a number plate, which may have given a clue.

    Is it a working class area and would I dare to drive through it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just gone back to the original negative, but it is still unclear (probably camera shake after a session in the Fleece Inn). As for your question : yes and, from what I know of you based on a digital friendship of many years, yes.

      Delete
    2. Was it perchance taken at that time we all call Halcyon Days? You know - pre Global Warming.

      Delete
  2. Your title is exactly my hubby's favorite thing to accomplish! Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Digital archaeology is about dissecting history one byte at a time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Digital archaeologist! What a great line of work to be in. (and to add to McShane MD's wonderful definition) It is about sifting through ancient pixelated dust to collect the virtual shards of deleted civilizations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is too late for me today. I had to go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No answers about mills from me, I'm afraid, but I do want to know the secret excuse for getting out of shopping trips - mine don't seem to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Digital Archaeologist...I love it..it is a great response to the hoards that are already retired and just like to give the newly retired a bad time:)

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...