Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Message In Dostoyevsky's Underpants


Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the labels on clothing seem to be getting more and more verbose? At one time, labelling was confined to such essentials as size and manufacturer; but now many items of clothing seem to have an extra skin made up of silky paper print of somewhat dubious origin. Such appendages might serve a useful purpose if they contained thought provoking or entertaining text - I am thinking of those times when the train breaks down and the only thing you are left to read is either the Daily Mail or the labels on your pullover. However, if the labels I have just cut off my green jumper and scanned are anything to go by, Dostoyevsky they are not. How did we find ourselves in this sorry state of affairs? No doubt someone has done a detailed analysis of the trend. And no doubt it is printed inside a pair of underpants.

11 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the 'Mint Mix' comment - do you buy yours at the sweet counter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No John, the sweater counter

      Delete
    2. To go with my ‘chocolate’ sweater?

      Delete
  2. I think it's all part of the need to show content thing for health reasons - eg 'may contain nuts' on underpants and packets of KP - plus globalisation. So you need labels printed in a dozen different languages too; I mean, don't they speak English in heaven anymore?! I notice one of your labels urges you to stay away from fire, which is a good thing; I'm just thankful a garment I bought recently did not advise on fat content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say you volunteer your services of rewriting the labels for Marks and Spencer! Something witty just for those train break downs you mentioned! You could do a series in underwear...a chapter a day in each pair. ha.

    And I'm sure you look smashing in your mint colored sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy has a great idea. A message in one's underwear could be much more satisfying than the messages in fortune cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering how you could "follow up" a title like that. The post did not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just cut a very similar epic from a new T shirt - so much extra fabric that I made me look as if I was pregnant and carrying the bump at one side. But I like Betsy's idea of having something worth reading. A bit like you sometimes get free bracelets/nail varnish in your magazines - you could get a free magazine in your sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you may be on to something here Alan. Maybe J Peterman style descriptions of the garment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cut most tags out..they make me itch anyway...usually the print is too small to read anyway:(

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...