Thursday, March 23, 2023

Foresight And Tramlines - Shelter From The Coming Storm

 



SHELTERS FOR AN EMERGENCY : Coun E Wrigglesworth of Hill Side, Park Field, Triangle (who attracted wide notice when he built his own house of concrete blocks some years ago) is now erecting a concrete shelter, which will be of use in case of emergency. The roof will be reinforced with old tram lines.

This is a curious little story from the local newspaper; the story of a man who sets about building himself a concrete shelter, "which will be of use in case of emergency". The story only becomes interesting when you notice the date of publication - 25 March 1939. The prescient gentleman in question was Councillor E Wrigglesworth of the Sowerby Bridge Urban District Council. As far as I have been able to ascertain, he survived the war - thanks to his foresight and those tramlines.



1 comment:

  1. I wonder where I can lay my hands on a few tramlines? Just in case a storm comes...

    ReplyDelete

A Lot Of Gas And Some Empty Chairs

  You can decide which jet of nostalgia is turned on by this advert which I found in my copy of the 1931 Souvenir Book of the Historical Pag...