Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A Reluctant Parting From A Brave Artist


Today, my dip into the seasonally induced pond of inconsequence brings up a rather splendid Edwardian postcard, entitled "A Reluctant Parting" by the artist and illustrator, Harold Cecil Earnshaw (1886-1937).  It was a rather grubby and creased affair that benefited from a scan and a digital clean-up, which allows you to appreciate a rather fine drawing that dates from the very height of the postcard craze of the first decade of the twentieth century. This was a time when postcards were the equivalent of Facebook updates and would be exchanged with great frequency and for the most prosaic of reasons.

Earnshaw was an interesting chap who throughout his life worked as a cartoonist and book illustrator and was married to the far more famous illustrator, Mabel Lucie Attwell. During active service in the First World War, Earnshaw lost his right arm and had to set about learning to draw again using his left  hand. This he did with great success and within two years of his injury he was once again working as an illustrator.

5 comments:

  1. How inspiring. One does what must be done to get back to the world. I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That degree of perseverance is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondering what was written on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mabel Lucie Attwell did a lot of work with Valentines of Dundee. My godmother was a Valentine and had her portrait drawn by MLA. Not in her usual style- just as well.
    Not sure I could adapt to using my right hand as well as I use my left. Make that sure I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum had this on the bathroom wall when I was a kid. I can still remember it word for word:]

    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/457467274620567055/

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...