Sunday, December 10, 2017

Fishing In The Pond Of Inconsequence (Sepia Saturday 397)

In the lead up to Christmas I am indulging myself with pointless blogposts about matters of no consequence. Today I am fishing in the pond of inconsequence whilst wearing my sepia Christmas bobble-hat.


My catch is this splendid photograph of a group of Edwardian fishermen who look as if they have been taking part is some very prestigious fishing competition. Even with the most powerful magnification I can't quite make out either the name of the trophy or any of the winners (although one of them might just be West Leeds Angling Club). Hopefully, the trophy still exists, hanging from the wall go some half-forgotten club house. Sadly, the Anglers themselves will be long-gone.

To see what other Sepians have caught this week, go to the Sepia Saturday Blog and follow the links.


9 comments:

  1. So two conclusions may be drawn from this photo...they got together, they had fun. Maybe they ate the fish too. They probably enjoyed getting away from their dull (?) lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, Alan. I bet the trophy was binned by the eighties, in favor of hipper decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why the men weren't posed with fishing reels? Would seem more appropriate somehow. Ah well - doesn't matter much now I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Secret Order of the Net.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging by the lack of enthusiasm on their faces, I think this trophy shield was awarded for the fish that got away. It has splendid detail though. I can make out a mermaid and Neptune (or maybe the grim reaper) on the bottom, St. Michael slaying a dragon, a great swirl of people drowning, and an angel admonishing Adam and Eve. How does that tie into fishing? The men also have the same watch fob. A fraternal society for somber tee-totaling fishermen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an unusual trophy. I, too, hope it still exists somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a magnificent trophy. I wonder if it matched the size of the winning catch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That’s a very handsome trophy; you’d think they’d look more pleased about it!

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...