Tuesday, August 07, 2018

The Last Afternoon At Sea


Over the last couple of months I have been slowly scanning my way through a 1925 photograph album I bought on a second hand stall. Entitled "Cruise To The Northern Capitals of Europe on the SS City of Nagpur, July-August 1925", the album contains over 50 sepia photographs our unknown photographer took on a cruise to Denmark and Norway. In addition to showing some wonderful 1920s fashions and some tram-lined streets, the photographs illustrate a relaxed atmosphere on board a small cruise ship of ninety years ago.

It is perhaps fitting that I am now getting to the end of the album - the photograph above is entitled "The Last Afternoon At Sea", because I am starting top pack my bags for my own cruise to the Norwegian fjords in a few days time. Perhaps I will ask the First Officer on my oversized cruise ship to pose on a deckchair with the Good Lady Wife.


2 comments:

  1. If a cruise could be that relaxing, I would consider taking one. That and winning the lottery. I bet you even felt like you were on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine 1925 life had just as many worries, but it seems to be all full of bliss to those who think in terms of history.

    ReplyDelete

Tunnel End

Photographs don't have to be "good" photographs to be memorable. Sometimes all they need to do is to capture a moment in time,...