It is the winter of 1964/65. A Labour Government led by a youthful Harold Wilson has just been elected into power. Sir Stanley Matthews is about to play his last First Division game at the age of 50. The Kray twins have been arrested in the East End, Agatha Christie is still writing Miss Marple books and the long life of Winston Churchill draws to an end. It is snowing in West Yorkshire, and I set out on a walk from my home in Northowram. I head down the back lanes and catch a view of Coley Church over the snow-covered stone walls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Safely To The Other Side
Another way to cross the River Mersey is the method I’ll be using later today: travelling through the Mersey Tunnel. The Queensway Tunnel ...
-
Y ou can spend too long sat inside reading old newspapers and cataloguing old postcards. There comes a time in the affairs of man when he s...
-
A few weeks ago I was approached by the people running a website devoted to Halifax, my home town in West Yorkshire, to write a short serie...


Harold Wilson lived just up the hill from where I grew up but we didn’t move there until 1967. Literally 5 minutes walk.
ReplyDeleteThe winter of 67/68 was amazingly cold. The snow came over the top of my wellies even here in London.