Thursday, November 08, 2012

You Can Fly Away, In The Sky Away


We were half way up a mountain in Grenada. We had stopped for some refreshments on the edge of a national park and whilst we drank rum punch a Calypso band entertained us. They were singing an endless version of "Yellow Bird". Perhaps it was the only song they knew, but what does it matter : it was perfect for the time and the place. I was tempted to include a YouTube clip of the song, but decided against it. Everybody knows the tune, it is part of our shared heritage. Far better that the haunting melody should spontaneously emerge from your deep subconscious and then perform gentle acrobatics in your mind for the rest of the day.

Yellow bird, up high in banana tree.
Yellow bird, you sit all alone like me.
Did your lady friend leave the nest again?
That is very bad, Makes me feel so sad.
You can fly away, In the sky away
You more lucky than me.

9 comments:

  1. Love the shirts! Did you get one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, Alan, it is providing my mental soundtrack as I write :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too early in the morning, and I'm still more asleep than awake, so the earworm isn't taking hold. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once went to the big Notting Hill Music weekend in London where every parade band, and I mean EVERY one, was playing Yellow Bird simultaneously all along the parade route. The worst earworms are the little ones that need no encouragement from actual sound. A couple of pints will usually be the best cure.

    Glad you had a refreshing holiday, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a certain dignity of these two guys doing their job ernestly. Then there is a certain humor to the costumes identifying them as a tourist attraction that you just can't overlook. It is a great photo, yellow bird and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha...now that shot just makes me want to tap my toes...they are really getting into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two very colorful birds. I've seen local performers like these and they do leave a lasting impression on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Home! The Yellow Bird has returned ti its nest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some fashion advice is required here,
    but I'm sure it made for great memories.
    "Yellow bird.... la, la, la!!!"
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...