Saturday, June 06, 2015

Sepia Saturday 282 : A Triptych Of Moves


Three pictures encompassing three generations (although you may need to squint hard to spot one of those generations) provide a digital triptych for this week's Sepia Saturday where the theme image features a Russian violinist playing chess. My first photograph doesn't quite hit the thematic nail on the head as it shows someone who is neither Russian, nor a violinist, nor playing chess. Nevertheless, my father - for it is he - could conjure up a rousing tune on a concertina and this photograph of him (taken probably forty years ago) shows him playing Scrabble, a game that he and my mother played most evenings.


My second photograph does feature a chess game being played aboard a ship sailing off into the sunset somewhere on the Mediterranean Sea. That is Alexander - captured pensive against the setting sun - the grandson of the Scrabble playing Albert Burnett of the first photograph. It was taken in 2003 when he would have been about 13 years old.


The final panel of the triptych features the same subject although it is a different ship and, clearly, a different time.  This was taken less than nine months ago as we rounded the toe of Italy. You may well note that the pensive approach has now vanished and a bold and confident move is in the process of being made. And if you haven't spotted the intermediate generation just look at the reflections in the glass on that third picture and you will just make out a figure taking a photograph and wondering "what's he up to now?"

And to discover what other Sepians are up to this weekend, move on over to the Sepia Saturday Blog and follow the links.

22 comments:

  1. That's a very good photograph of your father - I presume you took it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad was nice looking, love these photos, especially the oversized chess pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely, it was the only chess set on the entire ship, so we had to play on deck even when there was a force 6 gale blowing!

      Delete
  3. Very nice! Your family prefers the A names.....Albert, Alan, Alexander....even Amy! Lol....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognized the letter tiles tray your Dad was holding in that first picture. I've always thought it would be fun to play a giant game of something, but it would have to be checkers as I don't play chess. A giant size Monopoly game might be fun. I wonder if there's any such thing anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is odd about the chess set being the only one. I spotted you right off in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the giant chess set. Didn't the White Rabbit play in "Through the Looking Glass?" I can't remember, but the set is great fun...how did it stay on deck? Heavy pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I understood chess. I would love to play a game on a ship in the Mediterranean or anywhere else for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful photograph of your father in his element there. Scrabble is another one of those games recommended for keeping the brain active.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never can remember how to play chess, despite trying to get my brain to accept the info. Great picture of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen a few chess (and checkers) sets out on tables in parks. It is often older men who are playing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes I saw you in the glass....I guess that counts:) I never learned to play chess, but I can play a mean game of checkers:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clearly the Sicilian Defence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And what a beautiful tryptich it is to be sure! I like the first photo particularly but they are all good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The photo of your dad is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed your post this week, you always have a knack of putting things together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked the photo of your Dad and really enjoyed the way you strung the photos together. Nice that you all go on cruises together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The giant chess set suddenly reminded me (DUH!) that I'd omitted an obvious photo from my post: the human chessboard from "The Prisoner"!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm always intrigued by those large chess pieces, but I cannot remember how to play. Even when I knew SOME of the rules, I had no strategy. I guess I should stick to Scrabble.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm like the other non-chess players...enjoy lots of games, but chess just seems to have so many rules, and my rebellious self just can't remember them all...as well for bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brett is right, that is a very nice photo of your dad. Reminds me I need to be taking more while I have the chance. Of course, he usually puts his hand in front of his face so I can't hope for anything as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...