Thursday, January 13, 2022

Copley Bridge

 


The bridge which spanned the River Calder at the village of Copley, near Halifax, formed a solid memory from my youth. Often I would run over its' hefty stone spans on school cross country runs, whilst at other times I would stroll the route, pausing to watch the river flow by on its' way from moors to sea. That was sixty years ago, and at some stage I must have paused to take this photograph. The village houses, built by Edward Ackroyd in 1849,  are still visible, and at that time the mill will have still been standing.


Sadly the bridge wasn't quite as solid as my memories of it - it was washed away by the 2015 Boxing Day floods. A new steel footbridge now stands in its place and new houses stand where the mill once stood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Lot Of Gas And Some Empty Chairs

  You can decide which jet of nostalgia is turned on by this advert which I found in my copy of the 1931 Souvenir Book of the Historical Pag...