Thursday, July 25, 2024

Bus Station Dynasties

 


History is sometimes measured in dynasties - the Tudors or Stuarts, the Tangs or the Yans - but for most folk a more prosaic way of marking the passage of time is called for. Having grown up in Halifax and having lived in these parts for large periods of my life, for me it’s bus stations. My youth was framed by the concrete aisles of Crossfields Bus Station: it’s there I dawdled with school bag over my shoulder, it was there I ran to catch the last bus in my late teenage years. Then there was the first version of Wade Street which somehow never felt complete, always seemed like an excuse for a bus station rather than the real thing. Today marks the official opening of the new Wade Street bus station - our solar panelled, cycle-parked, bee-friendly bus station. If you look at it from the right angle, Beacon Hill becomes its roof and that’s what a Halifax Bus Station should be like. So welcome to this new dynasty, may its buses run safely for many a year to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Walking Down Shaw Lane