Saturday, July 13, 2024

Daffodil On The Water



When I was young, back in the early 1950s, our family’s annual seaside holiday would alternate between Bridlington on the east coast and New Brighton on the west. On those years we headed west, our journey would involve a train to Liverpool and then a ferry across the Mersey to our seaside destination. Sorting through some old family papers I found this postcard of one of the Mersey ferries from that era, a postcard I probably bought on one of those journeys.



The ferry being “on the water”, it becomes a suitable contribution to this month’s Sepia Saturday theme – “On The Water”. Other Sepia Saturday posts can be found by following the link on the Sepia Saturday blog.



5 comments:

  1. When I was young we used to cross San Francisco Bay via car ferryboat on our way to picnics on the ocean. I happily recall those ferryboat rides because i thought they were fun & exciting. And, of course, they were connected to something I looked forward to. I loved going to the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ferry Cross the Mersey" takes me back to the 1960s tune. What an impressive ferry for its time and how exciting it must have been for you as a child to travel on one of these boats for your family's annual holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fine choice for our/your theme. Ferries, much like a bus, once performed such a useful but ordinary function, that we often don't notice them until they're gone. I would much rather wait for a ferry to cross a river than wait in traffic on some super motorway. Recently I crossed the Ohio River on a great bridge that was so wide I never saw anything of the water below.

    I'll take this comment to say thank you, Alan, for keeping the Sepia Saturday pub open. Your choice of images never fail to inspire us to write stories that connect to our old photographs. Over the past many years I have regularly added postcards or photos to my collection which I recognize have the potential to one day fit a Sepia Saturday theme. It's very rewarding when, like this weekend, I get to use one of those special finds. Many thanks for sharing, maestro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:34 PM

    From Scotsue - good to see a post from you Alan. Your photograph brings back memories of the ferry crossing at Queensferry across the Firth of Forth near Edinburgh - a real bottleneck as cars queued up until the Forth Road Bridge was opened in 1964.









    ReplyDelete
  5. The lack of color makes it seem a world away, but I wonder if it wasn't so different from now.

    ReplyDelete

Walking Down Shaw Lane