Saturday, May 09, 2009

Picture Of The Day : Albert and Kate

The picture shows my grandfather (Albert Beanland) and my grandmother (Kate Beanland née Kellam). Albert died in the year of my birth, but Kate lived until 1956 and I can just about remember her. She was born in Rutland in 1877 the second daughter of Albert Kellam and Catherine Moody. Kate's father - a grocer living in South Wales - died when she was just 14 and her mother quickly married again to a certain John Robinson Thickpenny (whom, I am sure, I have written about before). Kate didn't get on with her step-father and she left home and became a waitress. It was whilst working as a barmaid at, I believe, the Bottomley's Arms in Keighley that she met my grandfather, Albert. Just thought it would be nice to put a story to a couple of faces.
This, by the way, is the 500th post to the News From Nowhere Blog. Happy anniversary.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Anniversary.A Fine Blog.Regards Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this Gladys's mother? The image of her!

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...