I was amazed when a publisher called Der Club Bertelsmann bought the German rights to A Proper Family Christmas last year. Fancy paying someone to get the whole book translated! Yesterday my author copies of Schone Bescherung arrived. My knowledge of the language is restricted to a couple of 'German for Academics' classes at University because we had a crush on the teacher, so not being sure exactly what the title meant, I asked Google to 'translate this page', and it came up with the rather surprising 'War on Business'. However other friends have suggested something more like 'Pleasant time for Christmas Gift-Giving' , or even 'Here's a how to do' or 'Another fine mess'. The German language is obviously very adaptable.Friday, December 05, 2008
'A Proper Family Christmas' hits Germany
I was amazed when a publisher called Der Club Bertelsmann bought the German rights to A Proper Family Christmas last year. Fancy paying someone to get the whole book translated! Yesterday my author copies of Schone Bescherung arrived. My knowledge of the language is restricted to a couple of 'German for Academics' classes at University because we had a crush on the teacher, so not being sure exactly what the title meant, I asked Google to 'translate this page', and it came up with the rather surprising 'War on Business'. However other friends have suggested something more like 'Pleasant time for Christmas Gift-Giving' , or even 'Here's a how to do' or 'Another fine mess'. The German language is obviously very adaptable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Market Times
I think I may have used this photograph of mine before for my daily calendar, but never mind - it is well worth a second outing. It shows Ha...
-
Y ou can spend too long sat inside reading old newspapers and cataloguing old postcards. There comes a time in the affairs of man when he s...
-
On Sepia Saturday this week, the theme image is of a waterfall. I have a twofold submission - two photographs which, I believe, were taken w...
Das ist einem wunderbaren Buch ähnlich, ich muss ein Dutzend sofort kaufen
ReplyDeleteDankeshoen, AB. Ich bin incredibliche impressen von dich Deutschesprachen.
ReplyDeleteAccording to the machine I use for translation what you said was "Thank-beautifully, OFF. I am incredibliche imprints of you German languages". Thank beautifully off to you too.
ReplyDeleteOkay, I had made it all up. Is it my fault if your initials mean 'off' in German?
ReplyDelete