Thursday, January 29, 2009

Now That's What I Call Advertising

Having decided that I am fascinated by all things bus related, I searched through my postcard collection for a picture of a bus or better still a bus ticket. The best I could find was this Horrocks & Co card of the Royal Exchange, London. From the horse-drawn buses, I suspect that the card dates from the turn of the twentieth century, but I have no precise details. A quick Internet search reveals many other cards featuring the Royal Exchange of a similar vintage, but none - that I could find - featuring the same view. 
A close examination of the photograph shows something slightly odd : most of the buses seem to feature adverts for a firm called Wood Milne and the signs are so clear that it looks as though the original photograph has been doctored. In addition on the reverse of the card there is also a logo - between the words POST and CARD - which proclaims "Wood-Milne Rubber Heel". It appears that the Wood-Milne Rubber Company made a range of goods including car tyres, rubber heels and even early golf balls. It also appears that they produced advertising cards. But these are the subtlest of advertising cards : there is nothing in-your-face about them. To the vast majority of people they are simply colourful scenes. It is only when - 100 years in the future - someone takes out a magnifying glass and realises that the bus adverts look a little strange that the message get home. Now that's what I call advertising.

1 comment:

  1. My ex-wife had a great holiday idea which neither of us ever put into practice: to tour Britain using only local buses. You kind of make it up as you go along.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...