Sunday, October 04, 2009

Surreal Sunday 4 : Reclining Corpse

In an experiment to determine whether or not surreal art can be produced by someone without any artistic merit or skill, I am currently featuring six works of art. Five of the works featured recently in the British Surrealism in Context Exhibition . The sixth work of art will have been produced by someone without any artistic ability or experience (me) on my kitchen table in less than an hour. Your task is to spot the surreal fraud. You can comment as we progress through the six works or wait until the end to give your verdict.





Entitled "Reclining Corpse", the picture portrays the female form brutalized by war.

10 comments:

  1. I think this picture was created by a traumatized 5 year old. Or a surrealist who was once a traumatized 5 year old.
    What this selection of surrealist art is demonstrating to me is, level of artistic expertise or twisted minds aside, I still wouldn't want any of them on my wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think possibly this one is yours, Alan. Can't wait to see the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be casting my vote too soon, but I think this one might be the fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:57 PM

    Hmmmmmm....( assumes the art critic's pose... )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. You are tricking us now. I think maybe you did this one too! I really like this- though again- too disturbing for my living room :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks Very Much Like I Did after I Last Went On The Rail Ale Trail !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will reserve judgment until I have seen them all. I am glad you tried to do one yourself. I am going to stop being a carpenter and grounds keeper and start painting again some of these days. Your making a lot of fun out of this surreal art. Thanks, have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dunnno this doesn't look at all like surrealist art to me apart fom the slightly macabre subject matter which isn't necessarily a hallmark of surrealism. Modern, post modern but nothing screams dreamlike or surreal. Still not making any calls before all six are posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still reserving my vote as well, although this is very unlike the others you've posted previously. Wishing you a good week and I enjoy your family series very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this one looks real enough to me...the red slash as well...hmmm...think i am sticking to my pick!

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...