Monday, October 26, 2009

Surreal Sunday 6 : October XI

It would seem quite suitably surreal for the Surreal Sunday feature this week to be published on Monday. The lad has  been home this weekend and things have been busy so my apologies for the late post. This is the last of the six pieces. I will provide a quick reprise of all six in a couple of days time and then the answer next Sunday.


In an experiment to determine whether or not surreal art can be produced by someone without any artistic merit or skill, I am currently featuring six works of art. Five of the works featured recently in the British Surrealism in Context Exhibition . The sixth work of art will have been produced by someone without any artistic ability or experience (me) on my kitchen table in less than an hour. Your task is to spot the surreal fraud. You can comment as we progress through the six works or wait until the end to give your verdict.





The painting - called October XI - features the distinctive lozenges of bright colour that were favoured by the artist. The colours reflect the predominant moods and flavours of October.

13 comments:

  1. Hi, this is a cool idea. I'll keep an eye out for the 'fake' one. If no one spots it, start selling them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll wait till I've seen them all. I reckon I'll spot yours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too hard to choose, Alan. Can I cheat by asking a question..? Do you have any poster paints in your house? Or just coloured pencils....
    If push comes to shove, I'll guess Number 3 is yours... although Number 6 runs a close second...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this one's real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting for the retrospective to guess. This has been a fun series. Hope you had a good weekend's visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. I think this one is real, but slightly amateurish if you know what I mean. Very childlike. Can't wait for the results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will list all six in a couple of days time so you get a final chance to see them all together and then next Sunday I will let you know the answer. And Kabbalah, you can ask questions ... but I won't answer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You Posted It Upside Down!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to have to go back and check the others out! Blasted limited Internet access!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to work out if Tony knows this picture (and so that it's upside down) or if it was just a joke... either way I was giggling for at least 5 minutes...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Edwin. Tony has been to the exhibition in question therefore he may know the picture. But there again Tony lives in Hebden Bridge and nothing there is as it seems. But there again perhaps Tony doesn't exist. Perhaps he is the result of a previous challenge ("five of the six blogs are written by real people, the sixth was invented by me on the kitchen table ...")

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll check back in a couple of days, AB, although numbers 3 and 6 are too close to call at this point. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I'm still sitting on the fence until the whole collection has been displayed!

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...