Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Rhodes Street Makes The Cut


Things are still fairly hectic over here and they will be for another week or so, and therefore I will take this opportunity of including one of my re-discovered 1960s and 1970s images. There is something quite peaceful and satisfying in feeding a strip of old negatives into the scanner and seeing what comes out of the other end. It is a form of time travel and a journey of rediscovery and an eminently suitable occupation for a time when everything outside seems to be as cold and grey as many of the old 35mm negatives themselves. For those interested in detail, this particular negative shows Rhodes Street in Halifax and I must have taken it in the late 1960s. Shortly after the area was re-developed and although some of the buildings survived they were "cleaned up" ind inter-spaced with bright new brick boxes. There is something about the atmosphere of this old shot which seems to mirror my mood today. Over on my Daily Photo Blog I have, for the last week or so, been featuring some of my re-scanned forty-year old images of Halifax. By the end of September I hope to have chosen the 12 I will incorporate into my 2011 Calendar. This one, I think, will make the cut.

14 comments:

  1. It looks strangely elegant, like a slightly poorer cousin of the Royal Crescent in Bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The height of the buildings dwarf the walking figure, but I agree with JennyFreckles, there is an elegance about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This photo is so good, the light in it is perfect. It certainly takes the eye right in and it makes me feel like walking down this street of wonderful buildings just as the person in the photo is.
    I have never heard of scanning negatives, it sounds simple but there must be more to it I think.
    You wrote of cold and grey outside - it's much the same here but add rain, very strong winds, and in the south, snow then you know what our spring weather is like this week and last week too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a wonderful picture...i personally love b&w...think it adds textures that get lost in the color...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very atmospheric shot--good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost dreamy surreal. I love black and white photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This definitely creates a mood. And the first thing that struck me was how deserted that street is. I wonder how spooked that pedestrian felt walking alone through that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is another spectacular photo, Alan. Your 60s and 70s stuff is just amazing. I need to invest in a good scanner, since I inherited a box of old negatives after my grandfather died a few years ago. You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that diagonal slash of shadow across the building front! Very nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fine photograph, Alan. Which month will it grace?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a beautiful photograph, Alan! Thanks for the birthday wishes. You always say the sweetest things!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely evidence of a bygone era, Alan. I'm sure your calendar will be lovely as well.

    Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't beat the B&W.What a tragedy occurred, was it in the name of progress?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great picture. I would never had guessed it was Halifax. The spire almost gives it an Oxford feel.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...