Monday, January 08, 2018

Long Wall, Elland : It's The Trees


I took delivery of this old picture postcard of Elland on Saturday, and, by complete coincidence, I found myself walking along the road featured in the photograph yesterday. There are, of course, all the changes you would expect given the one hundred years that separate the photograph from my Sunday walk. The tramlines are long gone and the mills are long abandoned. The biggest change, however, is the one that is always noticeable when you compare old photographs to modern landscapes in these parts: it's the trees. You cannot get an overview of the town or the valley from such hills these days because of all the trees that are in the way. After an industrial century of onslaught by soot and smoke, the vegetation has begun to fight back and trees and bushes cover every  acre of unbuilt land

5 comments:

  1. I find new growth trees a marvel; enough cannot be said, nor enough pictures taken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen several postcards from the early 1900s to the 1960s or so of Main Street in the town where I grew up, and like yourself, I enjoy comparing the size of the trees in the various years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just checking to see if I can comment on my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently yes you can. Better trees than plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blogging, I really like your stuff and I also add your feed to look forward for more of your excellent post
    escape games
    online escape games
    new escape games
    point and click games

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...