I took delivery of this old picture postcard of Elland on Saturday, and, by complete coincidence, I found myself walking along the road featured in the photograph yesterday. There are, of course, all the changes you would expect given the one hundred years that separate the photograph from my Sunday walk. The tramlines are long gone and the mills are long abandoned. The biggest change, however, is the one that is always noticeable when you compare old photographs to modern landscapes in these parts: it's the trees. You cannot get an overview of the town or the valley from such hills these days because of all the trees that are in the way. After an industrial century of onslaught by soot and smoke, the vegetation has begun to fight back and trees and bushes cover every acre of unbuilt land
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Safely To The Other Side
Another way to cross the River Mersey is the method I’ll be using later today: travelling through the Mersey Tunnel. The Queensway Tunnel ...
-
Y ou can spend too long sat inside reading old newspapers and cataloguing old postcards. There comes a time in the affairs of man when he s...
-
A few weeks ago I was approached by the people running a website devoted to Halifax, my home town in West Yorkshire, to write a short serie...

I find new growth trees a marvel; enough cannot be said, nor enough pictures taken.
ReplyDeleteI've seen several postcards from the early 1900s to the 1960s or so of Main Street in the town where I grew up, and like yourself, I enjoy comparing the size of the trees in the various years.
ReplyDeleteJust checking to see if I can comment on my own blog.
ReplyDeleteApparently yes you can. Better trees than plastic.
ReplyDeleteNice blogging, I really like your stuff and I also add your feed to look forward for more of your excellent post
ReplyDeleteescape games
online escape games
new escape games
point and click games