Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Another day, another shed

Jane and I eventually cleared away our shanty-town corner of our "wood shed" (that looked so fine when I built it, too many years ago for me to care to remember) and bought and fitted this smart little garden chest - I know, it needs some weathering (it'll happen!,) too bright by half at the moment. (One advantage of owning a building site is that we had a skip to dump the debris in.)

Clearing things was curious - one toad seemed to eye me as if to say "Have you finished messing around yet - is it safe to go back under that brick?" You think I am anthropomorphising? Hah! I saw it creep back under the moment I had replaced the brick having in between tried to chase it far enough away not to get caught as I heaved the fence back behind into place and fitted bits to hold the fence in place - the toad was back to my left even as I hammered in a peg I hoped I could then use to pull the middle of the warped fence back into semblance of line....

Which actually worked quite well. The plan was that screws through the peg would pull the fence panel very nearly straight again after years of being allowed to "bow". Look at the photo forensically - the panel is darn nearly linear again! And I'd guess the small toad is back under the brick on the left... and probably the large one back on the right - one wonders if it's the same toad was there when we built the previous wood shed... it could be, they live quite long.

Curious thing, this blogging and electronic world. Long ago Jane said I should write a blog about our boat conversion to diesel-electric drive to entertain myself and in case people might be interested... so I hammered out a fairly messy blog, not very organised - organised it slightly better recently....

Thanks to an article in Waterways World some people had a look, clearly mostly didn't really get much from it since they kept asking me questions were already answered in the blog...

I had my first comment ever on it the yesterday. (Other comments had all been via email referring to it.) Somebody found it interesting... would I care to email him? I've looked back, didn't really take in the clue.... I emailed, he emailed back, would I care to advise for their project about diesel-electric hybrid drives they were developing where the relationship will be commercial? Hang on, he is asking me to be a paid consultant! But it was supposed to be a joke I should set myself up as one.. ...

But because of the blog (and perhaps he read the article although he's not said-so, yet) he's asking me if I would agree to be one!

I've no idea what to charge but I've already said "Great." I still wonder if I shouldn't just sit and contemplate this shed.

Or read AB's far more amusing blogs. Hey ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Lot Of Gas And Some Empty Chairs

  You can decide which jet of nostalgia is turned on by this advert which I found in my copy of the 1931 Souvenir Book of the Historical Pag...