I was in Manchester last week with a group of friends - the famous Old Gits Luncheon Club - and we were walking along the Rochdale Canal en-route to a splendid public house called The Briton's Protection, when I spotted two buildings, separated by a few hundred yards and a few hundred years in economic history. My first reaction was to praise the old and condemn the new, but on mature old git reflection I shall admire both. Manchester has changed, but the new Manchester is just as vibrant, striking and picturesque as the old; and with a shiny glass surface.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Safely To The Other Side
Another way to cross the River Mersey is the method I’ll be using later today: travelling through the Mersey Tunnel. The Queensway Tunnel ...
-
Y ou can spend too long sat inside reading old newspapers and cataloguing old postcards. There comes a time in the affairs of man when he s...
-
A few weeks ago I was approached by the people running a website devoted to Halifax, my home town in West Yorkshire, to write a short serie...


I'm so happy you reconsidered. Before I began reading, I was lost in admiration.
ReplyDeleteSpectacular photos and I love how in the one the old is the bigger building as it was once historically. In the second there’s even a reflection of bothe and the new one is now the taller one. I am not sure how wise it is to build glass towers all over the globe for I fear nasty storms in the furure.
ReplyDelete