Tuesday, April 26, 2022

A Message About Mediums

 


When I was young, the Canadian philosopher, Marshall McLuhan, was all the rage. He is, of course, most famous for his premise that "the medium is the message" - the concept that the way ideas are circulated is as important as the ideas themselves. It has always been a concept that has fascinated me, and, if I ever manage to get around to it, it is a topic I might return to via one medium or another! What started me thinking about McLuhan, however, was a message from my brother, Roger, in his hideaway in far off Dominica, and links to a series of YouTube videos he has created. Roger is no stranger to experimenting with different mediums: sculptor, artist, writer, stamp-designer, and creator of one of the very first on-line blogs (although the term hadn't been invented at the time). His experiments with YouTube are a new departure for him, however, and are well with a view. Here is his video based on his collection of paintings called "Daughters of the Caribbean Sun"




And, here are links to the other two videos in the series:-


2 comments:

  1. These are fabulous paintings by your brother! What a talent!
    I tried rereading 'The Medium is the Message" last year but just couldn't get into it. I'm sure there's still a lot of truth to it but it seemed a bit dated to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ali. In return I've emailed you a link to some jazz recordings that you may have come across.

    ReplyDelete

Tunnel End

Photographs don't have to be "good" photographs to be memorable. Sometimes all they need to do is to capture a moment in time,...