Monday, October 19, 2009

Japanese Boys And Girls Floating Down The River Calder




The wonderful thing about old postcards is that you can just pick one from your collection and happily while away an entire rainy afternoon by searching for the story behind it. Take the above card which was published by the fine art publishers Landeker and Brown of Worship Street London sometime between 1903 and 1905. The title is "Group of Japanese Boys and Girls" and it is No. 137 in the Ellanbee Japanese Series. This does not help very much as it would appear that all the cards in the series were given the number 137! The card was used and the postmark is May 3rd 1905. The message is somewhat unforthcoming and simply says "Too-do-loo" followed by five kisses. It is addressed to Miss E Wilson of 57, Denby Dale Road, Wakefield but there is no senders' name. So who sent it and where were they going to?  And strangest of all why isn't either Miss Wilson or the address recorded in the census records of either 1901 or 1911. Indeed if you track down where 57, Denby Dale Road would have been it seems that it is halfway across a bridge over the River Calder. Don't you just love such mysteries. I do.

8 comments:

  1. I do love a good mystery when you find something like this. My mother-in-law gave me an antique picture frame for Christmas one year. When I opened it up there was a little hand written note inside dating from 1905! I am determined to look into it and find out who owned the frame...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a bizarre thing. I may have to send myself a post card. I won't say who it is from, and I'll address it to my home, but to a non-existent person. Then I'll speak vaguely of a conspiracy on the back and bury it in a box in my garden...

    ...One day someone will be confused when they find it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of a good Chinese takaway near The River Calder..But a Japanese?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You see, I would look at this picture and think 'oh, Japanese people on the move'. Job's a good 'un'

    I think that the possibility of uncovering a mystery that I couldn't solve would be too frustrating. Answers! I need answers!

    But reading about the mysteries you uncover is a different story... love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you and I happily while away afternoons in the same fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful postcard. As you know, once I get going on an inquiry I end up with more questions than when I started. That postcard was fun and I hope she didn't live on the bridge, but I guess in some countries the do that. Fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem is the mystery would kill me! I'll be Googling that address until the cows come home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous10:39 AM

    I found this to be interesting. The cards, or similar ones, are to be found also on E-bay and some of those are stunning.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...