Friday, February 24, 2017

Sepia Saturday 356 : Painting The Town Stone Yellow


Our Sepia Saturday prompt this week features a 1945 photograph of a painting class in Sarasota, Florida.  My own photograph is one I took in, I think, the early 1970s in my brothers' studio in, as far as I can recall, Ireland. 

(Computer manufacturers should manufacture a special keyboard for older users which had special F Keys permanently linked to phrases such as "I seem to remember", "to the best of my recollection", and "I decided to go to bed early last night").

Over the years my brother Roger has had studios all over the world (his current studio is on the island of Dominica), but other than the work in progress, some things rarely change.

(I suspect that if you walked into his studio today you would find the same functional tables, and, as likely as not, the same typewriter pounding out letters to the editor of whichever newspaper who lives within the boundaries of).

Whilst the studio setting might remain the same, the style of the output has undergone changes over the years. You can get a flavour of his current style by visiting his BLOG which regularly features his work in progress. As an example of his approach, here is a painting he did twenty or more years ago of our home town, Halifax. Whilst his current work captures the vibrancy and colour of the Caribbean, his paintings of the West Riding equally reflect the warmth and elegant pride of industrial Yorkshire.


To see what others are doing with our Sepia Saturday theme this week, go to the SEPIA SATURDAY BLOG and follow the links.



10 comments:

  1. I hopped right over to Roger's blog (thanks for the link); his sculpted hand is incredibly good -- as is the rest of his work. You Burnett Boys are a talented pair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quite right, the photo is of my early 1970's studio in Ireland. To be exact: Clodiagh, Inistioge, Co. Kilkenny. The building was originally the village school. I'll post some more pictures and memories of the same on my blog when I get a slow news day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a visually interesting experience to visit the pair of you. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what fun, to see a studio of your brother's, and then share a finished work! And of course a link to his blog is an added feature. Are blogs on the way out, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brother has a very definite style and I really like the painting of his that you've included in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An excellent selection for the theme. Your brother keeps a very neat and tidy studio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I really like your brother's work. Oh to be able to paint/draw like that. And yes, when that F key is invented do let me know, won't you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a talented brother you have and this was an ideal match for this week's prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe of the tidyness of Roger’s studio. From what I understand artists choose studios for the quality of the light, so I assum there was more light flooding in from another window, other than the one we see.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...