Saturday, February 13, 2016

Sepia Saturday 317 : A Trio Of Golfers And A Good Blog Spoiled

The theme image for Sepia Saturday 317 features a quartet of golfers. Golfers have always been in short supply in my family (until the current younger generation at least - but pictures of The Lad swinging his club would hardly fit in with the sepia demographics required for our meme). I have managed to stretch the concept of "family" to the very limits of its elasticity and discovered some old photos from the collection of the first husband of a cousin of Isobel's. Even then, I am one short of the required quartet but golfing beggars cannot be choosers. I have no idea who the people in the photographs are other than the fact that the first one has a caption which seems to say "My Grandad White". But no further words are necessary - you know what Mark Twain nearly said: "Too much talk about golf is a good blog spoiled".

"My Grandad White"
Unknown Woman
Unknown Man
I suspect that the two men have been photographed on the same municipal putting green. The picture of the female golfer is, however, in another league, both in antiquity and the seriousness of the approach to the game. She looks as though she might just have hit a long drive and is wondering how far the ball may have gone. Whilst she makes her way down the fairway to find it, you might want to pass some time by going over to the Sepia Saturday Blog and seeing what everyone else is coming up with for Sepia Saturday 317.



15 comments:

  1. Could she be Captain of the Ladies' Team?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could she be Captain of the Ladies' Team?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clean your glasses, Alan. The lady's ball is still there. I'm no golfer, but don't those men's clubs look short?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha..yes the lady is still contemplating her shot or what ever it is called. Short clubs, perhaps mini golf?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandad White has a bit of an awkward grip on his putter but whatever is comfortable for him is what is important. I prefer hands closer together. This from a miniature golfer only even though I came from a family of golfers. The woman looks like she is contemplating her next shot from the fairway. Nice collection of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fancy duds for golfing eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it is tall men rather than short clubs?

    I remember my father calling the golfers playing in the rain "crazy idiots"........and since retirement, he has become one of the "crazy idiots" who play in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a moment I thought the second man was Ed Balls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family has an absence of golfers and golfing friends until my generation when some my male cousins took to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She’s certainly taking it seriously, and her dress would indicate that this is probably around WW1 would you say? Similar to the ladies in my post today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still funny to me how everybody dressed up to play golf...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good enough for Mark Twain to probably say something...like "if you can't be right on target, at least have the right game."

    ReplyDelete
  13. The woman has an elegant grace reminiscent of a Greek goddess contemplating the distance to the green. The two gentlemen however look like they are modeling for a saucy seaside postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can relate to that woman. She's probably just seen her ball roll over a cliff or into the rough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She looks like someone for a fashion shoot. Very stylish and blasé.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...