Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Bay Watch 3 : A Broth Of Love, Peace and Freedom


The first Monday of our holiday was my 65th birthday : and it was also the day on which we visited the famous Haight-Ashbury district of the city. On that special day I was able to soak in a broth of love, peace and freedom, served amongst the bookshops, bars and second-hand clothes shops of that splendid district. We called for coffee at the Red Victorian and in the centre of each table was a glass jar filled with conversation topics supplied by previous visitors. We drank coffee, discussed random topics and left a few for future visitors. San Francisco isn't just about sights and tastes - it is about a way of life as well. I could happily return to that city by the bay - again and again and again.

9 comments:

  1. My feelings about San Francisco too! It's about a way of life as well, a perfect quote for that city. I like the idea of that glass jar filled with conversation topics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen...

    I'm curious...What topics did you find in the jar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One I particularly recall was "can you achieve peace by war"?

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son-in-law's sister had to leave San Francisco, her home for twenty years and relocate to Sacramento. Her withdrawal pain was heart wrenching. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the conversation jar. And happy birthday to you, my friend. San Fran was lucky to have you for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Places like this make the travel experience very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we should have 'topic tubs' on every café table. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...