Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sepia Saturday 186 : An Imposing Looking Structure


Our theme image this week shows a imposing looking lady described as "Boadecea or Mother England or possibly Britannia". When I posted the call on our Sepia Saturday Facebook page, I commented that the image reminded me of something. The suggestion immediately came back : "Auntie Miriam?" Perish the thought. No I was thinking of the Britannia Pier in Great Yarmouth - an imposing structure if ever there was one. Here is a picture taken some sixty years ago. Whilst the structure might have been imposing, it was remarkably susceptible to fire, burning down four times since it was first built. The imposing looking lady in front of the pier? It's Auntie Miriam, of course.

You can see many more imposing sepia posts by going to the SEPIA SATURDAY BLOG and following the links.

My apologies for my absence recently. Last week was an endless round of ceremonies of one kind or another. Things should be back to normal this week.

19 comments:

  1. Indomitable. Not the pier, evidently, because it burnt down four times. Not Aunt Miriam, because I think she looks somewhat lost and vaguely vulnerable in this snapshot. But yourself, as you never fail to come up with an appropriate accompaniment to the theme photo, even if you have chosen most of them yourself ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but not this one Brett.

      Delete
    2. No, I realised that Marilyn selected this one :-) Good to have you back.

      Delete
  2. And here's me thinking you'd be featuring Britannia Real Ale. http://www.perfectpint.co.uk/real-ale-beers-info/2216/Buntingford-Brewery/Britannia

    Or opening your copy of 'Beer and Britannia' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beer-Britannia-Inebriated-History-Britain/dp/0750927488

    ReplyDelete
  3. Auntie Miriam fits right in with the imposing structure. It's interesting how she was placed all alone far enough from the building so the size of the building could be shown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am just learning of Britannia Pier so I could not have suggested that. I notice that your Auntie Miriam made it into the photo too. And very appropriately I think, not because she is wearing armour but she does have the same sort of imposing build as the woman in the prompt. As do I these days, I just realized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She Looks Like She Is Standing Guard & On The lookout For Arsonists......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe Auntie Miriam has walked far enough. Some thoughtful relative/taxi/bus better be on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back Auntie Miriam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does Auntie Miriam have her own shoebox archive? The composition makes another great accidental art photo. I can imagine this on the cover of a novel - titled "Britannia Rules the Waves!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never get tired of Auntie Miriam!! Apparently she got more imposing as she grew older. What luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd like to know more about Auntie Miriam. I'm trying to picture her riding on the rides at the pier. Did it have rides? A lot of our piers have rides, like carousels and sometimes even roller coaster.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smiling at Brett's comment. And I agree with him :)

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sure is a wide pier. Good connection with the theme. Aunt Miriam looks a bit formidable too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two imposing structures indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's hilarious. Aunt Miriam and the imposting structure. Great post.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two impressive structures. I'm not sure which I like best. It's a no-brainer really - Miriam every time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And once more,
    Miriam saves the day!!
    Hurray!!
    :D~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. Auntie Mirian would not thank you for posting that !

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...