Thursday, July 04, 2013

Bay Watch 4 : Rooted In The Californian Soil


I wouldn't want people to think that the entire two weeks was one continual brew-pub crawl around the streets of the city. On some days we left the city behind and explored the valleys and the islands of the wider Bay area. One day we went up to the Muir Woods National Monument to pay homage to the few remaining first-growth redwood trees. As we were up north, it seemed like a good idea to combine the woods with calling in on a few vineyards, and it would have been the height of bad manners not to sample a few of the products they were so proud of. After all that wine, I began to see things in the trees that had not been there before. As I gazed at the trunk of an ancient sequoia, could I see myself looking back? A wooden image rooted in the Californian soil, destined to grow here for the next two thousand years. There are worse prospects by far.

10 comments:

  1. But your 'reflection' has its eyes closed! It must be the thought of thousands more years of being 'studied' so closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you with your eyes closed in that tree! Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see two men and a lion. We must be learning from Betsy; she's the queen of seeing faces in things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you've been mixing the 'grain' and the grape, Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Hear The Wine There is Treemendous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turn the photo upside down and the frowning bear becomes two smiling ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see it, and I'm stone cold sober!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I regret that none of the photos taken in 1999 at the site you mention came out, so I have nothing but memories of my visit there. Thanks for reminding me of a wonderful day long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I can see you in that ancient tree..goes to show you that your trip was meant to be:)

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...