Saturday, July 06, 2013

Sepia Saturday 184 : One Theme, Two Cards


Ah Bless! The smiling face, that look of determination, the feeling of being impervious to the flurries of accepted wisdom : yes, that is my brother Roger. I suppose the photograph must have been taken about 65 years ago and I publish it here to celebrate the fact that in a few days he will become a Sepia Seventy. Happy birthday, dear boy.

So what on earth has all that to do with our theme for Sepia Saturday 184? Marilyn suggests "commemorative plaques, memorials, sculptures/ sculptors, group portraits, medical science, famous (or not) scientists/doctors, anything French, mad dogs!". Well Roger isn't French, nor is he a doctor or a scientists. Having lived in the tropics for quite some time he tends to go out in the midday sun, but that is because he is an Englishman rather than a mad dog. But luckily he is an artist and a sculptor and therefore I am able to meet my thematic requirements and my fraternal duties in one single post.


One of my favourite examples of his work can be found just up the valley from here at Sowerby Bridge. Entitled "The Lock Keeper", it was commissioned to mark the regeneration of the old canal basin and has become a well-known local icon. But perhaps my favourite piece of his, is the head he did of our son Alexander, fifteen or so years ago. It proudly sits on top of our old piano, acting as a permanent reminder of The Lad when he was young. And as The lad is due back in the country in a few days time, I can add to the list of ticks this post achieves : theme image, birthday card, and welcome home card.


You can see more examples of my brothers' work on his Blog by following THIS LINK. And you can see more contributions to Sepia Saturday 184 at the Sepia Saturday Blog by following THIS LINK.

30 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:58 PM

    Thank you for sharing your brother's art with us! I do like The Lock Keeper, but what a joy to have a sculpture of your son made by the hands of your brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great choices, there! And a Happy Birthday to Roger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time just keeps moving along. 70 used to seem so far away. The face of the Lock Keeper reminds me of you. Were you the model?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another masterful demonstration of connecting the links, Alan. All beautiful examples of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! Beautiful works of art, Roger, and happy birthday!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lock Keeper so evokes an era. It could as easily be any tradesman and son. What is the tool the lock keeper is holding?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Roger.Yes I Love His Work.a Great Mix Of Strength & Tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful and powerful examples of your brother's work, especially the lock keeper. Happy 70th birthday to Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Roger. I spent lots of time wandering through his interesting blog and admiring his art. Fabulous. What a brother!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree -- the Lock Keeper does look like you! He's a very talented man, this brother of yours! Happy Birthday to him...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sculpture of the lock keeper and the boy really do convey what it's like going through those locks, the knowledge and experience that hopefully comes with age, and the exuberance of youth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful sculptures, and best wishes on Roger's birthday as well. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "The Lock Keeper" is a wonderful piece of art. What a talented brother & it's easy to see HE has a loving brother proud of his accomplishments! :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great sculpture. I can see a resemblance between your brother's photo and your son's sculpture and you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The boys is not only adorable, he's got talent as well! Happy Birthday, Roger!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, lovely post.Happy birthday Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Lock Keeper is an awesome piece of sculpture ... someone entirely in control.

    ReplyDelete
  18. He did the lock keeper. That is such a neat piece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great sculpture - you should show us more of his work.
    Happy Birthday to Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way that he is wearing a tie while in a tent, camping?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I think that answered the theme! Happy Birthday Roger!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning work. Simply stunning. Did he model the man and boy of the Lock Keeper from local people? I would love to see this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many thanks for all your good wishes.

    When I was thirty I came across Judith Viost's poem "It's hard to be hip after thirty" and I've followed her poems through every decade since. I'm hoping that someone will have taken a hint and bought me her collection titled "I'm too young to be seventy".

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I love these kind of realistic sculptures. I can understand why you love the piece of your son, but the Lock Keeper is marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful sculptures. Happy Birthday to Roger!

    It seems the prompt was well-timed for you. Did you put Marilyn up to it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy birthday to Roger.

    Great sculptures to admire. The Lock Keeper is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What fabulous sculptures. Happy birthday to Roger. I must go looking for The Lock-keeper one day. Seems a pity your brother moved from these shores. We might have had more of his lovely work to feast on around the area.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your brother is so talented. Those sculptures are fantastic.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful sculptures..Happy Birthday to you much older brother:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. We had our photos taken by your brother's wonderful sculpture last May after a curry in Sowerby Bridge, posing in suitable positions to be part of the vignette. I wonder how many other people have done that! I'm interested to know about your connection.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...