Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Thinking, Sending .... Friendship


Can any finer greeting arrive from across the ocean than a note which starts : "Enclosed is a postcard for your enjoyment. I thought of you when I saw the card". People often make fun of the virtual friendships us bloggers form, but what is seeing something and thinking, sending something and thinking, other than the very definition of friendship. The postcard sent by my Blog friend C from Far Side Of Fifty was a 1924 postcard of Manchester Square, Blackpool. It is a year or two since I have visited Blackpool and the last time I saw a Blackpool tram was clattering down The Embarcadero in San Francisco!. But that could be Uncle Fowler or Auntie Miriam wandering along the sepia Lancashire promenade.


So what was a postcard of Blackpool doing in the United States? Back in July 1924 it crossed the Atlantic heading to the Rev Harding in Nesland, South Dakota from (possibly) "Amy and Uncle Tom". I am glad to say that 89 years later it recrossed the ocean in my direction. Thanks to C for thinking of me and sending me the card, I will find a suitable card to return home to the USA.


10 comments:

  1. Postcards used to be and still a famous communication medium between people who are living far away from their loved ones.But now the situation has changed its now used as marketing tool to publicize ourselves and company.THe postcard printing business has changed now with the inauguration of internet everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gesture from your blogging friend, Alan! I'm glad that you and your family are having an enjoyable summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a cool and thoughtful thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did the T10 indicate a 'to pay'? I don't know if 1d was sufficient to send a postcard to the US in 1924? Now you have the mystery of working out who the senders were :).
    It's lovely that the pc has made its way 'home' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good it arrived! Glad you enjoyed it..I also enjoy our blogging friendship:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That IS a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant, Alan! You know, someone (watch my eyes) should write a book about such joys of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoy the occasional post card from a travelling friend or relative. The little cards are harder to find these days. Don't seem to be in every drug store or gas station.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a splendid view and I'm sure you will enjoy this card for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely surprise, hooray for blog friends. I'm surprised you haven't asked Amy if she was in Blackpool with Uncle Tom. Did you lose her somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...