Monday, October 01, 2018

Five From A Slaithwaite Stall : 1 Pendlebury Wave


We were in Slaithwaite yesterday visiting the excellent Slaithwaite Art Festival, and afterwards called in one of the many antique emporiums in the village. There I found on one of the stalls a fine collection of old Victorian photographs. I managed to limit myself to just £5's worth, and came away with five excellent examples of the genre. I thought I would share them with you all over the next few days.

Carte de Visite of Unknown Woman : Studio of I Horne, Pendlebury
I know very little about this first photograph other than it comes from the studio of Israel Horne of the Lancashire town of Pendlebury. All I know of Israel Horne is what can be discovered by the usual trail through the census records. He was born in Summerseat, Lancashire in 1843, the son of a hand loom weaver, and he started work in the local cotton mill. By 1881 he had moved to Pendlebury and set up business as a grocer, and shortly after that he jumped on the photograph wagon that was one of the great growth industries of the time. In 1891 had an established studio in Pendlebury and a decade later his son and daughter were also working as photographers in the family business. By 1911 he had retired and three years later he was dead.

This photograph of a young Victorian lady with a very pronounced hair wave must date from the early years of the studio - probably the mid to late 1880s.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Lot Of Gas And Some Empty Chairs

  You can decide which jet of nostalgia is turned on by this advert which I found in my copy of the 1931 Souvenir Book of the Historical Pag...