This is Harry Elk. We know that because someone has kindly written his name under his photograph. A date would have been nice, an address would have been better, perhaps even over generous. A quick check of census records results in nobody of that name with a date of birth around the turn of the twentieth century. Whoever he was, Harry was a thoughtful chap who deserves a second look a century later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Safely To The Other Side
Another way to cross the River Mersey is the method I’ll be using later today: travelling through the Mersey Tunnel. The Queensway Tunnel ...
-
Y ou can spend too long sat inside reading old newspapers and cataloguing old postcards. There comes a time in the affairs of man when he s...
-
A few weeks ago I was approached by the people running a website devoted to Halifax, my home town in West Yorkshire, to write a short serie...

Is that a common last name for a person in England. The study of names is a whole study in itself. The Stoneburners and Shoemakers are I guess common. We have a relative from England that was named Lightfoot.
ReplyDeleteWhat? I never heard of anyone called Stoneburner and only 1 called Shoemaker... and he was an American. Elk I would suggest is completely unknown in England. What do you think Alan?
Delete