Monday, August 09, 2010

Some Thoughts On A Virtual Gathering


Some days I have a plan. Some days I don't. Some days my blog posts are part of a long-running project with some aim in sight, however strange and inconsequential that aim might be. Some days they are not. Some days they are thought doodles. Experiments in the land of what if. What if I take a collection of faces from some recently acquired Victorian Carte de Visites and bring them together? No digging. No searching for clues as to names, locations or histories. Just invite them to a virtual party. Throw them in the same room and leave them to it. Will No. 9 fall in love with No. 8? Will No. 4 take an instant dislike to No. 6? Will No. 1 discover her long-lost older sister in No. 3? Will this odd collection of faces, today brought together for the first time in human history, somehow sit at peace with each other and create an image that eases the passage into a new week? Perhaps. Some days it works, some days it doesn't.

14 comments:

  1. I like it - randomly mixed grouping - I wonder what their backgrounds were and what they would have to say about being grouped like this - interesting thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea - it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making of a quizz game there! Who did what,who married who?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'ol put -them together and see how they relate- gimmick. I love it! -J

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have a fascinating mind
    I look at them and wonder what they would think of our world now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice. it reminds me of the beginning of brady bunch...and somedays it does...who is to say when random people run into one another what might happen...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another inspired post, Alan. And rest assured, it works perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I start to wonder about group dynamics too. Who would take charge of this group? Might be the lady in the lower right-hand corner.
    It also seems that you could make some sort of board or card game out of this. I'm not sure how it would work, but you could have the photos on one side of a playing card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:01 PM

    Do I see a screen play going on here? :) The Bach

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it. I have known a family in school that had many girls that looked like number 3. Number 9 is a common face over here today.
    I really think the appreciation of the photo is just as important as the story that is or is not there. Nice collage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suspect that some people in this group would have thought it below their dignity to speak with other members. Do we still hold the same hierarchical attitudes today I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful collection of faces that certainly invite narrative!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That makes a good composite photo - I like the way each one has a slightly different tint. Fun idea too - at dinner, please seat me next to the man in the bottom row middle, he looks interesting - I think he's a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photographs do provide such telling details in their facial details and clothing. Great to imagination their lives and loves.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...