Monday, February 15, 2021

A Royal Tragedy

 


I must have taken this photograph sometime between 1963 and 1966: the first date being the release date of that memorable cinema classic, The Girl Hunters, the second being when they converted the cinema into a Bingo Hall. I can just about recall going to the cinema on a few occasions - the double seats on the back few rows making it an attractive location for teenagers in search of cultural enrichment.


The second photograph shows the current state of the building; every time I pass I almost want to weep at the tragedy of its downfall. There were plans, at one time, to turn it into a hotel, but I have no idea what has happened to that idea in these Covid-infested times. I just want to take the building home and care for it, but my wife won't let me.

1 comment:

  1. Interestingly - at least to me - is that the building was designed by Richard Horsfall, the older brother of Charles Horsfall. Charles Horsfall designed the Bolton Brow Sunday School and Assembly Hall, a Grade II listed building that I did take home and care for when it became my studio.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...