Monday, February 22, 2021

Point To Point

 


Now here's a thing! Just three days after discovering a pointing statue of Hope in Elland cemetery, I find a very similar pointing statue in Rastrick cemetery. My initial conclusions about the Elland Pointer was that she was pointing towards Ainley Top and the slip road onto the M62, but I have now reviewed my calculations, and I believe she is pointing towards Rastrick Cemetery - and consequently, the Rastrick Pointer! This is a discovery of major significance, because it reveals a series of nineteenth and early twentieth century veiled stone figures pointing out a clear route to .... where? I still need to carry out detailed geographical calculations on the Rastrick Pointer, but as soon as I know where the trail leads to, I will let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Similarities between the two (pose, drapery, etc.) suggest that they point to designs sourced from pattern books. Which brings us back to the theme of copyists.

    You might add J Nobel to this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monumental_masons

    ReplyDelete

Tunnel End

Photographs don't have to be "good" photographs to be memorable. Sometimes all they need to do is to capture a moment in time,...