I had half an hour to spare before the start of the Old Gits meeting in Huddersfield yesterday so I walked around the town enjoying the blue skies and sharp temperatures. My photograph shows one of the two wonderful stone sculptures that flank the Central Library and Art Gallery. The statues, by James Woodford R.A. (1893-1976), depict the youthful spirits of literature and arts (I am not quite sure which this one is). Shortly after taking the photograph I was sat in the back room of the Sportsman in the company of my fellow Old Gits discussing books, films, art and music whilst washing the conversation down with flagons of ale. The youthful spirits should not have things all their own way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Safely To The Other Side
Another way to cross the River Mersey is the method I’ll be using later today: travelling through the Mersey Tunnel. The Queensway Tunnel ...
-
Y ou can spend too long sat inside reading old newspapers and cataloguing old postcards. There comes a time in the affairs of man when he s...
-
A few weeks ago I was approached by the people running a website devoted to Halifax, my home town in West Yorkshire, to write a short serie...

Looks like something from the Joe Stalin School of Monumental Architecture.
ReplyDeleteAh, youthful. Just look at those perky breasts.
ReplyDeleteNow that sounds like my kind of club!
ReplyDeleteThe statues are evidently meant to depict the epitome of the stoical, learned and sober Yorkshireperson. (PS I'm an ex-pat Southerner). Or it could be from the Perky Breast Joe Stalin School of Monumental Architecture.
ReplyDeleteI was inspired to find out which your statue is and found one thing online (only one so perhaps nobody cares very much) which told me the woman statue represents arts. The man must be literature. I see you also have a statue of Harold Wilson. He lived just down the road from me for years.
ReplyDelete