Thursday, August 11, 2016

Sat On A Deckchair Reviewing The Rajar Purchase


RAJAR PURCHASE No. 1 : WOMAN ON A DECKCHAIR

I have been at it again! Another day, another eBay purchase : accumulating more "junk" just at the time of life I should be divesting myself of worldly possessions. The purchase this time was a small collection of old photographs contained within a vintage "film and print wallet" bearing the name "Rajar". This is a famous name in terms of British photographic history, a pioneer in the production of photographic film and papers which eventually became part of the "Ilford" company.

The wallet, I suspect, dates from the mid 1920s, although the twenty-odd photos within it are an eclectic bunch. The fact that I don't know anything about them makes them even more interesting in terms of exploration. So with the photos in front of me I stand on the shores of a new and unexplored continent - or rather I sit in my deckchair enjoying the summer sun whilst sifting through the "Rajar Purchase".




5 comments:

  1. Old photos in it, a new project for you. I like that photo "wallet".

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful purchase. I really admire the photo for its perfect visual quality. Classic shot that would be in a museum if all the great work could be placed there. Waling through history and researching it all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That women is not just sitting on a deckchair. I'm sure she's writing a holiday message on a postcard! Now if only you can find that postcard...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Rajar Purchase sounds like a land purchase scheme, like the Louisiana Purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful hat! If you see one of them on eBay I'll have it please.
    And what in the world is an anastigmatic lens?

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...