Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Rendezvous With Our Youth


Congratulations to those who managed to get the answers to yesterday's questions. I have a lot of sympathy for those who guessed Amelia Earhart because that was my response when I was shown the figure by my friend Denis and asked to identify what it was. But it was not Amelia, it was - as Chairman Bill rightly identified - "Speed - The Modern Mercury" by Herbert J. Rowse and Edmund C. Thompson and it graces the magnificent Georges Dock Ventilation Tower of the Mersey Tunnel. The first Mersey road tunnel - more properly known as the Queensway Tunnel - was opened in 1934 and the Georges' Dock control building and ventilation shaft is a monument to art decor design. The statue of "Speed - The Modern Mercury" depicts a young girl riding a motorcycle and wonderfully pulls together the Egyptian influences and the thrust of modernity that influenced art and design at the time. If you are ever in Liverpool the Tunnel Control Centre is worth looking at, it is both a beautiful building and an ingenious ventilation shaft. It is just behind the Port of Liverpool Building on the Pier Head. And it is the Port of Liverpool Building, seen in the reflection of one of the new office buildings, that features in my main photograph today.

And our night out last night? Both Kim and the Silver Fox got the right answer - I took the GLW to see Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler at the MEN Arena in Manchester. Knopfler was magnificent and Dylan was - well what can you say other than he was Dylan. He no longer sings but barks out familiar lyrics to somewhat unfamiliar tunes. But the man is a legend so we forgive him anything. A night to remember - a rendezvous with our youth.

13 comments:

  1. Never would have guessed the statue was Speed or Amelia Earhart. Oops! But it's a great statue. I've seen Bob Dylan twice now, one time he was amazing and the other time I don't think he ever came out from under his hood. He's real hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never would have guessed the statue was Speed or Amelia Earhart. Oops! But it's a great statue. I've seen Bob Dylan twice now, one time he was amazing and the other time I don't think he ever came out from under his hood. He's real hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I knew it had to be Eygptian, but had no other clue...I hope you give us a try again at some other not so familiar photo...and Bob Dylan now there's a man from around here.....he was all over our news the other day about hin possibly winning the Nobel Prize award for literature, and if he really deserved it or not....I can imagine you had an amazing evening! I toured his life tribute at a museum a few years back....a very interesting life he has led...and still is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I never. :) I had no idea about the statue and so googled it and another blog said it was Amelia Earhart in Liverpool. However, it makes much more sense that it is Speed.

    I saw Dylan many years ago and he was great of course. It would be fun to see what he is like now in concert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dylan; been a big fan since 1963, my first year as a young apprentice in the RAF. Knopfler; hard to beat Sultans of Swing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I "get" the statue now..she is on a motorbike..I did not see that yesterday..thanks for telling us what it was! Oh I love Bob Dylan..he never was a great singer but he sure could write songs. I have not seen him in concert but I do enjoy his music..the old stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the presence of greatness with Dylan, even if he barks his songs. Like Leonard Cohen, he's not much of a singer, but they both know how to write Great songs. I'm also a big fan of Mark Knopfler. Love his CD, "Sailing to Philadelphia."

    Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a line up! Sheer talent coupled with sheer legend!

    We used to go and watch the Manchester Giants at the MEN; except, in those days, it was still called the Nynex :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have seen dylan probably a dozen times over the last 35 years....what i've noticed in the last 20 years is that he seems to play with his voice and the effect has been gravely barking (as you put it so well) alternating with murmuring purring.....

    and as you said the guy's a legend.... it is kind of fun to see what 'style' of sound he'll be presenting.... even though as you indicate the lyrics are now fairly unintelligible....

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha...really great shot of the reflection...yep i would have no guess on the statue beyond admiring it...seeing dylan, nice....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just borrowed 7 DDs from the library of Bob Dylan. Love listening to him. Great songs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Took my husband and one son + GF to see Dylan w/ Leon Russell this past summer. They were terrific. I love Dylan and consider him the greatest songwriter ever even if not the singer.

    Mark Knopfler sounds like a hell of a bill w/ Dylan too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. a splendid piece!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...