Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Robin Hood in Rock And Forest


Life seems to have got in the way of blogging these last few days - and, of course, life has its ups and downs. The "ups" was undoubtedly the gorgeous weekend we spent in Sherwood Forest with The Lad and his delightful girlfriend. It was perfect Autumn weather and we avoided the strong winds and lashing rain that now seems to have moved in from the Atlantic. We did lot of swimming, a little bit of walking and a deal of relaxation. British readers will immediately recognise the location as one of the Center Parc villages : for those unfamiliar with such places they are set in forests and incorporate substantial swimming areas, lakes and sporting facilities of all kinds. I am glad to report they also feature a variety of excellent bars and restaurants. The photograph shows our accommodation amidst the trees of Sherwood. Quite what Robin Hood would have made of it, I can't imagine, but I suspect he might have been tempted to have a go at the field archery.

We returned to a bit of a crisis for close family friends which meant that we spent a fair amount of yesterday either waiting for doctors or ambulances. At the end of a day like that it was such a relief to go to the Rock for a quiet drink with D&S : talking over good times against the background noise of the gentle clicking of the pub domino team playing in the other room. Quite what Robin Hood would have made of it, I can't imagine, but I suspect he would have bought himself a pint of Landlord Bitter and joined us at our table.

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the medical crisis. There have been 2 of these in our circle recently. I didn't know Centre Parcs facilities were open to "outsiders". I've never been to one to stay - have you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jenny - we were staying this weekend along with my son and his girlfriend. We got back home late Sunday night and discovered the crisis on Monday - but hopefully it is beginning to be resolved now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? No green tights? And I don't think Robin would have bought a pint of beer; I suspect he and Little John would have lifted a keg or two off the wagon while the delivery driver wasn't looking.

    Still and all, it sounds like a pleasant weekend away, and I'm sorry you had to come back to a crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were in my home county Alan! Remember my post about the Major Oak? Did you get to see any of those giants of the forest? I’ve been back to UK myself and had a little ‘tree fix’ in the New Forest. It was lovely to see the signs of Autun and hear the robins singing, as we don’t get either of those here. I’m glad you had a nice break with family too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I confess that I've never been to a Center Parc village. I manage to catch Robin Hood elsewhere! Hope the family crisis isn't too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Entertaining post. Quite what Robin Hood would have made of it, I can't imagine, but I suspect he'd at least have sent his best wishes for the happy resolution of the crisis. As do I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's hoping your crisis is fully resolved by now, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about the crisis. Waiting for doctors and ambulances is never fun!

    Centre Parcs, on the other hand, looks like a lot of fun! Did you try your arm with the longbow? (Or maybe a lyre would be more appropriate for one so named!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Mystery Blog. Who was Robin Hood anyway? I thought he was a film star. Glad you found some good weather and good beer, in spite of all the troubles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the medical crisis, & hope all is well at this point. Sherwood Forest! That is exciting, even to see just a little corner. I loved the Robin Hood stories as a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your crisis resolves in as positive way as possible with such things.

    Must check out Sherwood Forest - I sometimes drive down the M1 in that direction and always think I must be passing interesting places I know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great place to relax.
    Hope your friends are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stayed once at the Longleat Centre Parcs. They made me ride a bike! Me!

    Loved it though and it was great for the kids.

    Living in a caravan in the middle of a field, I haven't yet had the urge to return. Once we move into the house it may change.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pic, place, leisure and lots of imagination

    ReplyDelete
  15. Off to Center Parcs (Longleat) next weekend. Greta place - can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  16. H-mmm...
    I don't know...
    Robin might have found you all a little too bourgeois and stole your purse...
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...