Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Three Cathedrals And A Gypsy Jazz Trio

The Roman Catholic and Anglican Cathedrals of Liverpool
I know I have not been around for a few days - but I have my excuses. First of all it was the Consultant's Ball on Friday - a grand affair which I would have happily incorporated into the title of this post had it not been for the fact that I didn't manage to take any photographs. This was due to a medical condition - a severe tremor brought on by  an excess of malt whisky. 

The three cathedrals in the post title were all found in Liverpool yesterday. We spent an excellent day there with friends, being expertly guided by Denis, a native of that fair city - indeed after our day out I have to say, our that very fair city. And before the pedants rush into print to point out that Liverpool only has two cathedrals, let me say that the majestic Philharmonic Dining Room and Bar must surely have the status of a cathedral any any secular person's mind.

The magnificent ceiling of the Philharmonic Dining Room and Bar, Liverpool
The gypsy jazz trio was the wonderful Trio Gitan which the GLW and myself had the pleasure of going to see at the Victoria Hall, Halifax on Saturday night. It was a particular pleasure, of course, because the Trio features that excellent blogger Dominic Rivron on double bass. Meeting fellow bloggers in real life is always a pleasure : when they are as entertaining and talented as Dominic and his colleagues it is a special event. If you are unfortunate enough not to live in the north of England you can always check out the trio on their Blog - Trio Gitan Radio.

Trio Gitan at Halifax
So it is thank you to Dominic for the music, thank you to Denis and Sue for the most splendid day out .... and thank you to my friends at the Ball for the Lagavulin!

18 comments:

  1. That Dominic gets around. Didn't he recently walk a section of Hadrian's Wall with George over at Transit Notes?

    You have some pretty cool bars over there. Strains from Sgt. Pepper's keeps running through my head for some reason....

    I trust the tremor has eased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a good time. I love the stained glass shots. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like that ceiling! Has the severe tremor disappeared yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please don't tell me you were there for the Conservative Party conference?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to be having some very happy outings lately. When you mentioned the Consultants' Ball I thought you were about to indulge in a round of quips as in the Radio 4 panel game "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue". (Late arrivals at the Consultants' Ball...Mr & Mrs Tingtable and their one-legged son, "Hopper" Ray)

    ReplyDelete
  6. JennyF : Mr and Mrs Ersh-Thetic and their charming daughter Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. CB : You know my guilty secret!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:09 PM

    Surely you have forgotten the cathedral to 30s modernity? The air intake and offices for the Birkenhead tunnel at George's Dock. It really is pointless guiding you around a great city if you fail to agree with my opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous (for I know it is thee) : the cathedral to 30s modernity is certainly not forgotten and will feature later in the week. Alas, you will be "across the water" by then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:49 PM

    Would that be 'over the water' you meant sir? And does the web not extend that far?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anon : I don't think they have the internet in Birkenhead do they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:12 PM

    A good point well and well made I feel - with apologies to all my relatives who LIVE in Birkenhead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always thought that the Lewis Building with "Dickie" Lewis standing Guard was the third Cathedral. But when I looked I found it closed in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music, trave and food. Doesn't get any better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I'm jealous that you saw & heard Trio Gitan! I do know their music from Dominic's sites, & they are very good--& Dominic seems like a great fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy music. Thanks for sharing the blog ... made out of words.

    Three cathedrals, wowwww!!! what a important city!

    I'm of the same opinion as Roy: lovely stained glass shots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your welcome. Thanks to you both for coming along - and for taking the photograph, not to mention plugging us here!

    Yes, I did recently walk a section of Hadrian's Wall with George (Transit Notes) and Robert (The Solitary Walker).

    ReplyDelete
  18. It sounds like a great outing with friends and food and music too. Beautiful stained glass designs.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...