Saturday, May 06, 2017

20 Images : 11. Shall We Go To Another Lecture?

20 Images : 11. Shall We Go To Another Lecture?


Doncaster certainly wasn't Cambridge, but just like these Cambridge students featured in an article from Picture Post in June 1939 entitled "A Day In The Life Of A Cambridge Undergraduate",  my students we often faced with the dilemma of attending another of my somewhat tedious lectures or going to the pub for a lunchtime pint. Often a clever compromise would be found and I would join them at the pub and explain the concept of opportunity cost whilst downing a pint and eating a bag of dry roasted peanuts.

Our pub of choice was "The Sun Inn" which was about a mile down the road from the college. This was far enough away from the campus to avoid the eyes of senior management but close enough so a speedy return could be made too the classroom if necessary. "Opportunity cost" I would explain whilst a grateful student went to the bar to replenish my glass, "is the cost of not doing the alternative choice available to us". "The opportunity cost of going to a lecture, is not going to the pub", I would add as I took a sip from my new pint glass ... "that is unless you manage to discover a way of combining the two!"

1 comment:

  1. Heh, heh! And Alan solves another philosophical dilemma. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...