Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Cheap Tablet And A Lasting Pleasure


I took delivery of a ridiculously cheap tablet today, it cost under £40 and is just the kind of thing to keep in your pocket and not worry about it getting scratched or knocked. At the same time it can handle my mail, host my Evernote account, access my Kindle library and do most of things that my iPad - which cost me more than 15 times as much - can do. I even discovered that it can even take photographs (of a type) although it is more pin-hole quality than HD. It will join a phalanx of other gadgets I take and access images with.


I took this photograph on my mobile phone last night. A night shot taken on Brighouse Ring Road.


This is a photograph taken over thirty years ago at Orgreave near Sheffield (the site a few months later of the infamous Battle of Orgreave) using one of those old fashioned cameras that used film. This is a recent scan from my negative archives.


And this final example is a picture taken in Venice in October, using one of the latest Digital SLR cameras.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you take them : photographs are a lasting pleasure.



10 comments:

  1. Heh, heh! Great lesson - it's not the equipment, it's the person using it. I love the night shot from your cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about that, and what a different sort of photo for memory of Venice! I like their clothes line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what tablet is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a guy take pictures of an old tree over here with his iPhone 365 days in a row. The book that is now publish shows photographs that are wonderful. I guess a box camera or a high tech electronic candy bar sized piece is all the same. I have a newer camera which I like but my old hands don't like the size with my clumsy fingers. The Venice shot is great. I hope they don't have water in their basement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not so much the gadget, more the eye that sees the potential for a photo in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What jennyfreckles said you have an eye for a good photo and not everyone has that:0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I KNOW any decent photo I manage to take is nothing to do with me. If we hung our washing out like that, it would blow off and fall into the canal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see Apple have made record profits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the end it all seems to come down to pixel count. I like the photo of Orgreave which seems medieval and futuristic at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely black/white photo- very neat. Two of my grands got cheap tablets for Christmas and they LOVE them. It made me realize what a mark-up that certain company has on their product.

    ReplyDelete

11 March 2024 : Paper Hanging

  Some people read the paper, some try and understand the meaning of life, George II and Elvis Presley both died there .... and photographer...